Friday, January 29, 2016

Week 4 Reading Reflection



It kind of surprised me when the author said that big projects do not always produce better innovations than smaller projects.  When someone says innovation, I’m immediately thinking about something huge like the iPhone.  I would have never thought that a small project can produce a large innovation.
I don’t really understand the difference between duplication and synthesis.  I don’t understand how Walmart is an example of duplication but Fed-Ex is an example of synthesis.  I’m not sure if synthesis means putting ideas together that were already established or if it is a brand new idea that is better than the old ideas.
Why is probability thinking a bad mindset to have for an entrepreneur? I would think that if you were planning on spending a bunch of time on a project, you would want a high probability of success.  For example, you probably wouldn’t want to try to establish an express coffee business because Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks already exist.
When is an idea considered to be a good one?  I just want to know when you should realize whether you should act on an idea or not. Should you ask others if your idea is good or should you just observe if there is a market where your idea will thrive?
I think the author is wrong about creativity being able to be learned and improved.  I think that some people are creative in certain aspects and others are not.  If you told me to draw a representation of the Golden Gate Bridge, I would have no idea where to even start.  Others would immediately start visualizing what they would be drawing in their head and essentially be copying the picture onto the paper.  I think some people are born creative and others are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment